Amalgam fillings are out!
The old type of silver amalgam fillings is no longer used these days. The reason is because amalgam not only looks bad, leaving black spots on your teeth, but because one of the components in amalgam is a toxin, called mercury. Although the levels of mercury are very low, most people are health conscious, and are afraid of mercury leaching into their blood system.
So how do we patch cavities in teeth?
We use white composite resin fillings. The resin is mixed to match the color of your teeth. Once the dentist has removed all the decay from the tooth, he will mix the resin and place it in the cavity. He will shape it as needed. A strong, focused UV light, is shone on the resin, hardening it in minutes. Once the resin is cured, the dentist with grind it to form, and polish it out. When he is done, the filling has disappeared, and looks exactly like the rest of the tooth. The resin in completely non toxic, and will last for many years.